Core

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Book Whisperer, WBT, and Sweets

I am almost done with The Book Whisperer and I am so intrigued. I agree with everything that Donalyn Miller says but there is a question that always looms in the back of my mind. How can I get my students to read that much and still meet the requirements of my district? We use the Trophies series which goes against what Mrs. Miller believes in. I totally get not having all students read the same story. I am one that plays the CD and has students following along in their books. I know that for some it is too easy, and for some it is too difficult. I would love to have my students reading more. The question is always "how?" I vow to figure out a way to make this work!

I am currently starting chapter 15 in the book Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids. This is going to be a great addition to my classroom. If you are interested in implementing this, I recommend reading the book and participating in the book club. I have already earned 200 WBT certification points. Each chapter has a question or prompt that you answer. You can earn up to 25 points. Sometimes there is a five point bonus. Save and date all of your posts in a word processing file. In August, you turn your posts in to redeem your points.

This leads in to my last thing - sweets! I am going to have a sweets theme in my classroom this year. I have already been on Pinterest to get ideas but I really want to create my own stuff. One of my goals this summer was to create things on TPT. I have created a few freebies. I want to do more though. I am currently working on making the five classroom rules for WBT in a sweets theme. Next I want to do classroom jobs and who knows what else. Hopefully you will be seeing me soon on TPT!

Have a great Tuesday!





0 comments:

Post a Comment